When was the last time you visited the dentist? Well, if you have to think to answer this, then this might be a problem for you. According to the American Dental Association, it’s important to go for dental checkups every 6 months.
Routine dental checkups benefit you in the following ways:
- Detection of Gum Disease: Since our gums are very sensitive, any kind of plaque or tartar build-up can badly affect them, leading to issues like tooth decay, gum infection, receding gum pockets, and gingivitis. According to a study, the health of our gums is directly linked to several health problems such as heart disease, stroke, diabetes, premature births, and cancer. So the only key to prevent gum disease at an early stage is proper oral care.
- Head, Neck, and Lymph Node Checks: Apart from the mouth, a dentist will also check your head, neck, jaw, and lymph nodes. Swollen nodes are a serious symptom of diseases like cancer, chickenpox, HIV, leukemia, and lymphoma. So regular dental check-ups can be an early warning bell to save you from life-threatening diseases.
- Oral Examination and Regular X-ray: Oral examination and X-ray can help your dentist to identify problems such as cavities, tooth decay, bone decay, and impacted teeth. The X-ray images can also detect serious conditions like cysts, tumors or any damage to the jawbone. In this regard, regular dental checkups help in preventing such conditions.
- Monitoring Bad habits: Dental checkups can also identify the minor bad habits that might impact your oral health in the near future. This includes chewing ice, biting nails, clenching jaw, grinding teeth, eating sticky sweets, drinking coffee, red wine, and smoking. The proper dental care procedure will help you to check the damage caused by these habits.
- Other Important Benefits: Apart from the above benefits, here are some additional pros of regular dental screening:
- Early detection of cavities.
- Detecting the symptoms of oral cancer.
- Prevention of bad breath and oral hygiene.
- Developing a thorough cleaning plan including proper brushing, flossing, and cleaning.
In all, practicing good oral hygiene will promote healthier gums, lessen the chances of plaque or tartar build-up, monitor bad habits, and prevent serious health problems. However, if you are already experiencing any of the above problems, immediately go for Urgence Dentaire Oracare for the right treatment.