Just like the psychological approaches, antidepressants play a key role in the treatment of depression. Antidepressants like tianeptine sodium help in reducing the symptoms and prevent the depression from reoccurring. However, it is not still approved by the Food and Drug Administration, US.
Many consider them to be essential for treating depression. These medications help in certain situations and do not help in other situations. However, they are very much effective for moderate, severe and chronic depression.
Most commonly they are used to restore the emotional balance in a person. They also produce relief for restlessness, anxiety, sleep problems, and suicidal thoughts. Moreover, it is also used for unipolar depression, and bipolar depression (manic depression).
How do they work?
To pass on the impulses, our brain cell will use many chemicals in the nerve cells. Though not scientifically proven, experts believe that some chemicals like serotonin which affects the nerve connection cause depression. Antidepressants like tianeptine sodium will increase the availability of these chemicals.
What does the treatment involve?
Antidepressants are usually taken daily. In the first few weeks, it will reduce the symptoms and if the condition is mild, entirely depression will go away. When this improvement is noticed among the patient, the treatment is continued for four to nine months.
Continuous treatment is essential so that the symptoms do not come back. A regular check-up with the doctor is very important during the treatment. You can have a detailed discussion with the doctor and let him know whether they’re an improvement in the reduction of symptoms.
The dose can also be changed if the doctor feels necessary. However, you should not change the dosage on your own. This will make the drug to work improperly and ultimately will not give you the desired results.
When the treatment is nearing the end, the dose of the tianeptine sodium will be slowly reduced.
Signs of depression
- Major depression is a mood disorder that affects the way you perceive life. Having a hopeless outlook of life is the most common symptom of depression.
- Depression can take the pleasure or enjoyment out of the things you love. A loss of interest in all the activities that you regularly do is a sign of major depression.
- Depression often comes with a lack of energy and tiredness. The person could sleep excessively as well.
- The feeling of nervousness, restlessness, feeling tense, feeling of danger, panic and dread, heavy sweating and muscle twitching can be common problems.
- Depression can be differing based on gender. It makes them act differently.
- Tremendous change in eating and sleeping patterns.
How effectively do antidepressants relieve symptoms?
There are many different medications for depression. However, it is very difficult to accurately say the effectiveness of antidepressants. This is because; the benefit of a drug will depend upon the severity of the depression. The more severe the depression the more days it would take to recover.
How effectively do the antidepressants prevent relapses?
Antidepressants like tianeptine sodium usually take one to two years to prevent the relapses. Relapse prevention can work better for people who already had several relapses, absolutely want to avoid relapse, having chronic depression.